Tuesday 30 August 2011

Still MORE Vintage Patterns! Where'll I Find the Time???

Hi hi, my dears! I know it's been almost 2 weeks since I posted! I've been sewing my little fingers off....seriously, I have a giant knot on the joint of my index finger (which I dislocated a couple of times as a kid) where my scissors rub AND, the tips of my index and middle fingers look like they did during final collections last year, aka, the skin is slowly peeling! Ewwww!!
But I've been productive! Well, sort of. I've finished two dresses. One is a cute little 'Twiggy' dress in a vintage yellow, blue, and mango striped jersey with a white Peter Pan collar:



The other is an early sixties inspired dress with a boat neck, sleeveless, fitted bodice, and a semi-full gathered skirt made in a blue and pink heavy chintz:



I'm also working on the short sleeved version of my "Tara" dress. Only a sleeve and zipper to go!:



I also have a bell sleeved high neck mini dress. It's done all but attaching the sleeves and the neck and the hem. I'd put a pic up, but quite frankly it doesn't look like much without the sleeves and the neck!

I'm trying to get as many things made as I can before I head back to London in a little less than a month, as I know I wont' be able to afford a sewing machine once I get there for a while! Speaking of machines, just a little hint to all: When using a domestic machine with a zig zag stitch in lieu of an overlocker, give it a break between edges. Otherwise they overheat. Apparently this is common. Who knew!? My Singer actually started smoking! Don't worry though, she's fine!

I've picked up some more great vintage patterns that I'll begin trying out later this week as soon as I finish the backlog I already have!...







This one's even got a hat pattern! I can't wait!!:













And there were even two early '60s maternity patterns. I figured, I'll no doubt need them at some point, right?




I've realised that I almost never do outfit posts, so I promise to do more in the future! Here's today's, kind of untypical for me, Betty Page inspired look:






Black silk knit top-$20 on sale-Express, years and years ago

Black and white gingham high waisted trousers-£10 on sale-H&M Divided, Camden, a couple of years ago

Belt-$7 on sale-Maurice's

1940's gold bangle-FREE-My grandmother's

1930's onyx and gold bangle-FREE-My grandmother's mother's

Mary Janes-£15-Dorothy Perkins last year...and they're on their last legs, but I can't find any that I like to replace them with!!

Yeah, I know, almost all the outfit posts I've ever done are looks other than '60s. Trust me though, the Betty bang is really just a once in a while kind of thing for me! You'll see when I start doing more of these!
Toodles, chickens!

1 comment:

  1. I love your outfits so much ! :) And I also adore the years of love and music !

    www.earthisaflower.blogspot.com , maybe you can take a look ? I started a couple of days ago


    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete