Friday 28 January 2011

Gladys Horton and The Marvelous Marvelettes


We've lost yet another legend, lovelies. Many of you may not have heard, Gladys Horton has passed away. As sad as it made me, I'm so thankful for the tunes she sang to us while she was here.
The first time I heard her voice, I was about eight or nine years old. I carefully placed the spacer in the 45, put it on the turntable and it began spinning. Once the needle touched the vinyl and Gladys pleaded, "Wai-ai-ai-ait Mr. Postman", I knew I had found a friend for life. I still have that well-worn and well-loved record that had already been well worn and well loved by my mother as a teenager, long before it reached my little hands...



I hope one day I'll have a daughter and she will have the same reaction to that sweet voice that I did. I'll teach her the Mashed Potato, as my mother did me....because, as DeeDee Sharp tells us, "it's the most, man, the day they did it to Please Mr. Postman."






1 comment:

  1. love the 50 and 60' music!!

    http://reflectandfancy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete