Thursday 5 May 2011

'Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind?'

Right, my little chickens, your old friend the Dollster is back with a 'Fashion Thursday' post that requires your input!
I've decided that I simply MUST make time to do some sewing again. "Why haven't you been sewing all along, my dear?", I hear the peanut gallery query. The answer quite frankly is that I have no place TO sew. You see, my mother sold her mid '70s model Singer machine/table back at the end of August. As for my own machines, I only have two:
A mid '50s mint green Elna, that is unfortunately in dire need of motor work (probably just a good oiling actually) which I don't want to get into myself and which, being unemployed, I can't afford to PAY someone to do. The other machine is a Singer portable that is about seven or eight years old.
Both of these machines need a table to set up on. Now, I HAVE a lovely 1940's sewing table but unfortunately it's in the basement and very heavy. I've been trying to get help to get it upstairs (and up stairs again) and into my room for a good three months now.
Anyway, I've decided that I'm just going to start on some patterns and maybe through dire need I can convince someone around here to give me a hand!
My new project is going to be to alter some old patterns from the '50s, '60s, and '70s that I inherited from my grandmothers. My grandmothers were not small women. I, on the other hand, am a modern size 00, or will be again once this winter weight is completely gone! Most of the patterns I have are vintage size 18-ish or a bit larger, so there's a good amount of altering to do. But I really think that I can do it. I've altered so many vintage dresses to fit me and I've drafted and altered lots of my own designs....we'll see how it turns out!
The pattern I decided to start with is a 1964 Simplicity pattern for a one piece back wrap dress.

I've got three lovely fabrics that I picked up at Wal Mart on the cheap (golly, how I hate admitting that!) specifically for toiling. They're lovely vintage-y cottons and I have enough of all of them to make this dress, but I'm not sure which one to use....although it only really matters in the case that my initial toile turns out the first time!

A


B


C


All three of the fabrics are patterns, but are thankfully not one way designs!
So which do you lot think would look the nicest? Let me know because I simply can't decide on my own! If my toile turns out, I'm defo making a second one of these in a pink and white gingham!
Of course, I'll post my progress as I go along!
Bye bye for now my daahhlings!
x

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to vote for choice C, because it'd look awesome with olive espadrilles :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo...espidrilles WOULD look amazing with this dress! Good call!
    ....and I'm leaning toward C myself!

    ReplyDelete