Friday 20 December 2013

All The Best People Have December Birthdays.....

Hiya kids, Hiya, Hiya!!!

Today is the anniversary of the birth of the most awesomely fabulous, hilariously funny, insanely intelligent, stunningly handsome man in the universe.  Sixty Six years ago today, the world welcomed my dad.  To entertain you fellow mid-century freaks out there, I humbly offer up today, some snaps of vintage birthdays...starring, my dad.....

Here he is with my grandmother in 1948 on his first birthday....


Why don't they make pixie pointed hats anymore?  They really should.  I'm pretty sure I have this one along with the little coat he's wearing in a bin of my old baby clothes...I wore them (and many others that belonged to him) as a child...see, I was quite literally BORN wearing vintage!  Don't even get me started on 'Mama D's' coat!!  WHOA!

Two years old, 1949.....


That sweet lamp resides on the bedside table in my room at Mom and Dad's house.



....and you can just see the base of the 1949 (the only year they made that specific model!) Glolite bubble tree which is keeping Christmas on the entryway shelf at my house!...


1950.....



That's my dad's best friend next to him playing "Wave your hands in the air like you just don't care".  They're still best friends to this day!



1951.....



See that gingerbread house cake?  Here's the article from the local paper describing it...



I've got the pan my grandmother used to make it and I swear one year, I'm going to surprise him with one! 

Here's dad's best friend again, front and center this time!..




1952....


Yeah, I know...those drapes!!!  Gaaaaahhhh!!  Love them!


1953....



 My uncle apparently thought Dad needed some help blowing out the candles....

...and my Papaw apparently thought they needed help eating the cake....


Easy to see where all that handsome came from!


1953...


His favourite gift that year...his Roy Rogers guitar.  He still plays that thing every now and again!!...



There aren't any pics from his 1954 birthday for some reason.

1955.....



No birthday pics from 1956 or '57.


1958....

I'd kill for those cups!!

Who knew Dad was friends with Tex Watson, who apparently felt the same as I do about the cups...



Stay tuned for a family Christmas tree evolution in the next couple of days!!



2 comments:

  1. Your dad and my mom. Happy Birthday to all!!! This is such an awesome series of pictures; what a great way to watch your pop grow up! I can't wait to see the Christmas pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful pictures! Happy birthday to your dad! (Rob)

    ReplyDelete