Wednesday 30 January 2013

The Bitch Is Back!

Right, so I know it's been ages since I've been on and I apologize profusely!  It's been a mad house round my way in the past few months.  While it's not slowed down, I'm determined that my blog be ignored no longer!!  So I'm back!
When last we spoke, I was working on getting my grandparents' early '70s 'time capsule' house in order so I could move in.  I've been here since the end of September and it really is coming along nicely!  I even have a new housemate, Pip...


...who will be getting his very own post later on.


For my first day back in the game, I want to share with you (as promised so long ago) some of the great original elements of the house.  Today, lighting...

Not all of the lighting elements in the house are original, but most are.  The rooms that were updated will be experiencing a 'throw back' shortly!

So here we go, a lighting tour of 'The Brady Ponderosa':

As you walk into the house from the carport, the main entry has a terrific globe light.  It's off white with a mottled, marbleized grain in gold.  Very late '60s/early '70s glam!:


The door you see leads to the laundry room, where resides THIS atomic lovely of lovelies, the flying saucer ceiling lamp:



Yes, it has little holes in the top so that, when turned on, it looks as though little green men are landing upside down on my ceiling.  It's a real gas!

In the dining room, you'll find the chandelier that gives the house the 'Ponderosa' half of it's name:

You can't beat 'Mod does Victorian', now can you my dears?  Especially when it involves yellow to orange ombre shades!

In the adjoining kitchen, the matching single fixture:


The living room is home to a horrid new ceiling fan.  I'm currently searching for a suitable replacement.  I'll post if I find one!

The first bathroom has a couple of great original fixtures.  The first being these great lamps that flank the mirror.  Another 'Mod nod to Victorian':


There's a poppy on the wall plates!  Oh, be still my little Mod heart!

In the same room, we're treated to a great little ceiling lamp that, for lack of a better description, looks like a soap bubble:



On to the spare room and it's lovely starburst shade!:


Kind of hard to see.  For some reason it just wouldn't take well!

The sewing room has a hideous 1980's shiny brass monstrosity where there used to be another of the same great shades as in the spare room.  Hopefully, I can find a replacement, or something equally as fab to replace it with!

The master bedroom has it's original circle pattern shade:


The master bath fixture is missing it's shade all together.  I'm on the search for a replacement, but can't seem to find one that fits the original fixture, so will probably replace the whole thing.

Here's some vintage lighting inspiration for you!












See you tomorrow with more mid-century wonderment!  Kiss Kiss!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment