Tuesday 2 July 2013

This Week's Haul--More Starbursts, Kitsch, And Weird Things From My Childhood

Hi, my bumblebees!  This week's 'Haul' post is a little lacking...I've only bought one thing...but I'm buffing it up with some of the great finds that have come from the bins full of forgotten 'stuff' I've been moving from my parents' to mine.

First, the new addition....



Set of 6 of these lovely little cupcakes!!  They kinda match the Royal China 'Star Glow' dinnerware that I got a couple of weeks ago...for $10, remember!  How exciting!.  Anyhoo, I'd seen these the same day and passed them by because of lack of extra bread that day.  But kept thinking about them and decided to go back to the shop for them...they were actually quite inexpensive!  I'm glad I did....
 

I've also realized that I neglected to include this beauty....


...that I got a few weeks ago.  I needed something like for the side table in my living room and this works a treat!  I love the colour!

Now, on to the 'stuff I hauled over the years and have now hauled to my own house from my parents'.  My love of kitsch and vintage isn't new.  I've been '50s and '60s...and even a little '70s...obsessed since I was a child.  And in the past weeks and months of slowly trucking bins from mom and dad's house, I've rediscovered some really great stuff that 'Wee Doll' had collected and saved that is pretty darn nifty!

Case in point:

Who doesn't love sock monkeys?  And who doesn't love the kitschy goodness of the shriners?  Well what if you mixed the two?  You'd get this guy...



Yep.  He's the bees.  Check out that fez!  His name's Harley because that was the name of my grandparents' friend whose wife gave him to me.  I was quite young and we had gone to visit them.  When she heard that I collected stuffed animals, she got up and disappeared into the back of the house for a long time.  When she came back, she was carrying this little nut.  I don't know if she made him or if someone else did, but he was old (the reason she was gone so long is that she had to locate him in the back of a high shelf in a back closet!) when I got him in the '80s.  I'd estimate him to be from the '60s.  Harley now sits in a place of honour in my living room!

Another cool little tidbit that jumped out of a bin at me was this little guy...



He used to sit on a shelf above my bed as a child.  He had originally belonged to my mom when she was young.  No identifiers except the red 'Japan' tag on his belly.   He's also a new resident in my living room!

One of my favourite toys from my childhood...and before that, from my mom's childhood...



.....is her 'autograph hound '.  A red cord wiener dog wearing tartan pants.  How cute is he?  That's 16 year old mom behind him!



These camels were also a tenant in my childhood bedroom....



My great grandmother brought them back from one of her trips to The Holy Land and gave them to me when I was little.  They're made of leather and are just as sweet as they can be!  I think they look loverly on the shelf opposite that palm!  They look so 'at home'!



 I also brought this decanter from mom and dad's.  There's a silver one that matches it that I may snag to use too.  We shall see...


Speaking of, my dad's almost finished the bar in his workshop/mancave!  It's my grandfather's original late '50s knotty pine masterpiece of a bar that Dad salvaged before the house was torn down.  I'll try and get some photos for you soon!  It's loverly!

Ok, we're gonna end with an odd and not really mid-century artifact.  More like a totally tubular, radical, gnarly '80s artifact.

I found a couple of boxes of my old cassette tapes.  Yeppers, THAT was fun in and of itself, but this thing is even sweeter.  I think.



It's in the shape of a cassette, as you can see, but.....Bam!!....



It's a game...of some sort.



It's called Slumber Party and has two blue and two red magnetic playing pieces.  The little wheels where the 'tape' would be spin like a one armed bandit when you flip the little button.  I can't figure it out for the life of me. 


Obviously I didn't play it much because I don't remember even remotely how the game 'goes'.  The fact that it's still 100% intact also proves that wee Doll didn't have much interest in it!
Anyone have one of these or want to hazard a guess as to just how you make it from one end of the board to the other?

That's all for today!  Stay tuned for a beachy '50s summer road trip post later in the week!


1 comment:

  1. 1xBet korean sports betting and bonus | Legalbet
    Kambangan luang dengan menang pada di dapatkan semua dapatkan kebutuhkan 1xbet com gh 1xbet yang berlengkap hanya di indonesia.

    ReplyDelete